iPhone cameras have gotten better and better over last few years and offer an excellent choice for recording videos. The one thing they lack is the audio quality. Hence if you are looking to record a podcast with iPhone or looking for a professional sounding audio for your video then you need to add an external microphone for iPhone.
The iPhone has pretty decent audio qualities when it comes to the regular usage.
You generally need a POP filter for larger microphone , it may not be required here.
But, if you are regularly using your iPhone for any professional or creative purpose such as recording a podcast, making YouTube videos , recording music etc. then investing in an external microphone for iPhone would definitely be a good idea.
This can also be used on-camera and are great for recording podcast ,music ,vlogs, meeting and much more.
This article mainly focuses on Best External Microphones For iPhone of 2020 with lightning port. Apple has removed the headphone jack and lightning port is the only option now for connecting an external microphone.
Here are our picks for best external microphones for iPhone
- Shure MV88
- Zoom iQ7
- Rode Videomic ME
- Blue Raspberry
- Apogee 96K
- Boya DM1
You can always use and adopter but then you loose on quality and quick connectivity. Here are some of our best picks of external microphones for iOS devices.
As an Amazon associate , I receive commission from qualified purchases from links.
Best External Microphone For iPhone : Lightning connector
These microphones compatible with iPhone 6 onwards and in addition they also work with iPad and iPad pro which come with lightning port introduced by Apple.
Shure MV88 ( Best Sounding external mic for IPhone)
Shure MV88 microphone have a robust design and comes with an all metal body. It sports premium stereo audio.
The MV88 is probably the best external microphone for iPhone when it comes to sound quality. The MV88 records video with crystal clear sound, gets that interview with clarity, and captures the performance of a lifetime. This multi-directional masterpiece tilts, rotates, and is made to withstand demanding conditions like music festivals and influencer meetups.
Digital Stereo condenser microphone replaces field recorders with the ability to record audio on the go onto an iOS device. Features include 5 preloaded DSP settings, Lightning Connector compatibility, and iOS ShurePlus MOTIV app editing.
If you are into vlogging you can also use Shure MV88+ Video Kit with Digital Stereo Condenser Microphone. It comes with that comes with an upgraded microphone with USB-C and Lightning cables and a headphone jack, Manfrotto Pixi tripod, and phone mount.
- Apple MFi certified compatible with all iOS devices equipped with a lightning connector
- Matched cardioid and bi-directional 1 cm cartridges for best-in-class audio
- Mid-side architecture for a phase-perfect, clear stereo image, free Shure plus MOTIV recording app featuring 24-bit/48 khz wave uncompressed recording, control over DSP mode selection, microphone gain, stereo width, raw mid-side adjustments, wind reduction, capsule selection, left-right swap, 5-band EQ and compression or limiting
- 5 DSP preset modes speech, singing, flat, acoustic instrument, loud)
- Automatically adjusts EQ, compression and limiting for optimal results
Zoom iQ7 ( Best Midrange external microphone for iPhone)
The iQ7 from Zoom is a compact mid-side stereo condenser microphone for Lightning-equipped iOS devices. It allows for up to 48 kHz/16-bit, mono-compatible audio tracking and is ideal for recording live concerts, ENG, videos and more.
The iQ7 features a rotating capsule that enables it to be used vertically or horizontally with your iOS device. This allows you to record video with your device situated in either standard or landscape positions while ensuring that the audio is recorded with the correct left-right stereo orientation. It is one of the best external microphone for iphone.
The iQ7 also features a dedicated 3.5mm headphone jack, enabling direct monitoring during both recording and playback. The headphone output can also be used as a line out for making a backup recording if desired.
The iQ7 comes with a removable spacer that allows it to be used with most iPhone, iPad, and iPod cases. The mic is compatible with Zoom’s free Handy Recorder app, which gives you the option to record as PCM or AAC files, and offers effects such as compression, EQ, and reverb. Additionally, it will work with Apple’s Voice Memo app and GarageBand, as well as most apps that support input from an external microphone.
Specifications / Key Features:
- Mid-Side Stereo Recording
- Set Stereo Width to 90° or 120°
- Adjust Raw M-S Data with Zoom iOS App
- Fully Mono-Compatible
- Large Mic Gain Wheel
- Rotates for Horizontal or Vertical Use
- Headphone Jack Enables Direct Monitoring
- Use Zoom App or Other Compatible App
- Removable Spacer Allows Use with Cases
- For iOS Devices with Lightning Port
Rode VideoMic Me-L ( Best budget external mic for iPhone)
The Rode VideoMic Me-L is a directional microphone designed to operate with iOS devices, including iPhones and iPads. It provides a marked sonic improvement to video recordings, especially when compared to your iOS device’s built-in microphone.
A frequency response of 20 Hz to 20 kHz gives you a wide audible range, while an SPL of 115 dB allows you to record louder sounds without distortion. Being cardioid in polar pattern, the microphone exhibits a directionality that focuses the sound wherever you’re pointing the device, providing a measure of rejection to any audio hitting the sides of the mic.
Relatively lightweight at 1.0 oz, the mic plugs directly into your iOS device by means of its lightning connector, though a 3.5mm jack is on hand for direct monitoring through headphones. Thus, you can always ensure you’re getting good sound, either while recording or during playback.
- Acoustic Principle: Pressure Gradient Electret Condenser
- Polar Pattern: Cardioid
- Frequency Range: 20Hz-20kHz
- Signal to noise Ratio :74.5dB
- Equivalent Noise: 19.5 dBA SPL (as per IEC651)
- Maximum SPL: 115 dB SPL (1kHz @ 1m)
- Power Requirements: Powered by iOS device
- Output Connection: Lightning, 3.5mm TRS
- Analog Outputs: 3.5mm TRS Headphone Jack
- Computer Connectivity: Lightning Connector
- Simultaneous I/O: 1 in, 2 out
- Bit Depth: 24-bit
- Sample Rates: 44.1 and 48 kHz
- Direct Monitor: Yes
- Bus Powered: Yes
- OS Requirements: iOS 11
Blue Raspberry ( Best Premium External microphone for iPhone)
The Blue Raspberry Studio bundles the Raspberry premium mobile USB/iOS mic with the PreSonus Studio One Artist music production software, iZotope Ozone 7 Elements mastering software, and a collection of quick-start templates. It is one of the best external microphone for iphone.
It provides large-diaphragm sound clarity in a portable format that makes it easy for musicians, producers, podcasters, or voice-over artists to produce high-quality recordings on the go, using their laptop or iOS device.
The Raspberry mic features a cardioid polar pattern and an Internal Acoustic Diffuser (IAD) design, which focuses the sound of your voice or instrument while minimizing the sound of the room. You can use the PreSonus Studio One Artist software to capture your performance in multitrack format and program/mix songs using the included virtual instruments and effects. The iZotope Ozone 7 Elements software lets you polish your mixed tracks by controlling their dynamic range and adding deep, rich character.
The bundle also includes an integrated collapsible mic stand, a microphone stand adapter, USB and Lightning cables, and a soft-suede carry pouch.
- Power Requirement: Powered via USB or Lightning connector
- Transducer Type: Electret Condenser, 14mm
- Polar Pattern: Cardioid (Unidirectional)
- Bit Depth: 16-bit/24-bit
- Sampling Rate: 44.1/48 kHz
- Frequency Response: 20Hz – 20kHz
- Adjustable Gain: 0 to +40dB
- Maximum SPL: 120 dB SPL (THD: 0.5% 1kHz)
- Mount Thread: 1/4” diameter, 20 threads per inch (standard camera mount)
- Microphone Stand Adapter: 5/8-27 thread (standard microphone stand mount)
- Headphone Jack: 3.5mm (1/8 inch)
- Headphone Amp Impedance: 32 ohm
Apogee Electronics ClipMic : Digital Lavalier Microphone for iOS Mobile Devices
Capture broadcast-quality speech on your iOS mobile device with the Apogee Electronics ClipMic digital lavalier microphone. Ideal for recording podcasts and interviews, shooting vlogs and news segments, and preserving special events such as recitals, the ClipMic digital connects to your compatible iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch via its Apple MFi-certified Lightning connector and includes a mic clip for convenient placement on your subject.
The Sennheiser ME 2 condenser capsule utilizes an omnidirectional polar pattern to ensure consistent audio pickup and minimal proximity effect. The supplied metal windscreen reduces wind and breath noise while protecting the microphone’s diaphragm. An integrated Apogee ADC delivers pristine signal conversion at up to 24-bit / 96 kHz resolution. Utilize the free MetaRecorder and Maestro apps to enjoy powerful recording functions, customization of settings, and more via your mobile device. You can even export files for use in other programs such as Final Cut Pro. Safely store and transport the ClipMic digital in the included carrying pouch.
- ClipMic digital is suitable for anyone who wants a simple setup to record podcasts, presentations, interviews, or meetings directly to their compatible iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
- Utilize your iOS device as a flexible tool for film production; when paired with DSLR video cameras, the ClipMic digital and an iOS device make capturing professional-quality productions simple and efficient
- 5.2′ cable with Apple MFi-certified Lightning connector ensures convenient functionality with an array of iOS devices
- Apogee 24-bit / 96 kHz conversion maintains signal integrity
- Free MetaRecorder app puts you in control of your recordings, offers powerful metadata, and makes files available via DropBox, iTunes, or email
- Use the MetaRecorder app on your Apple Watch (available separately) to start and stop recording, add a take to Favorites, add Markers, and set your microphone input level
- Customize settings for the ClipMic digital via the free Maestro app
- Includes microphone clip, metal windscreen, and carrying pouch
Apogee MiC 96k :
The MiC 96k USB Microphone for Mac & iOS Devices with Lightning Cable from Apogee Electronics is designed to provide studio-quality recordings to your compatible iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, or Mac computer in resolutions up to 96 kHz/24-bit. It is compatible with Lightning- and 30-pin-connector equipped iOS devices, and includes a Lightning connector.
The MiC 96k has a multicolor LED display that illustrates input level and device status, giving a visual reading of your input levels. It has an all-metal, die-cast zinc body and a side-mounted gain control knob for quick adjustments of your levels. Apogee also includes a standard USB cable, tabletop stand, and mic stand adapter, allowing you to get started recording to your Mac or iOS device right out of the box.
- Studio quality cardioid condenser microphone
- Designed for vocal and acoustic instrument recording. Also great for recording interviews, podcasts, voice overs, and audio for DSLR video.
- Up to 96 kHz/24-bit HD recording
- Works with iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac. Lightning and Mac USB cables included.
- Powered by connection to iPad, iPhone or Mac (no batteries or external power required).iOS Device Compatibility: iPhone, iPad, iPod touch
BOYA BY-DM1 Digital Lavalier Microphone for iOS Devices ( Best budget external mic for iPhone)
The Boya BY-DM1 Digital Lavalier Microphone for iOS Devices combines a lavalier mic with a built-in digital audio interface to give you a sound superior to that of a microphone plugged into the headphone’s connector on your iOS device. It makes it easy to capture clear and intelligible speech on the go, whether you’re working on VLOGs, podcasts, Instagram/Twitter/Facebook/Snapchat posts, or doing mobile journalism.
Easy to use with no battery required, the BY-DM1 quickly connects to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod via a Lightning connector, so you can get started right away. The clip-on lavalier mic conveniently mounts on your clothing, allowing you to position the mic closer to your mouth than with a camera mic, thus improving the quality of your recordings.
The microphone features an omnidirectional polar pattern, which ensures that the sound of your voice remains consistent even when you move your head. The digital interface accurately captures audio at resolutions up to 24-bit/48 kHz, delivering a sound that retains the natural presence of your voice.
The BY-DM1 ships with a mic clip, windscreen, and carrying pouch.
- Audio output connector: Apple MFi certified Lightning connector
- AD Conversion: Multibit Delta Sigma
- Pick-up Pattern: Omnidirectional
- transducer principle: Pre-polarized condenser microphone
- Frequency response: 30Hz-20KHz
- Sensitivity: -42+/-3DB(@1KHz,0db=1v/pa)
- Gain: 0-35dB
- Sampling frequency: 44.1kHz/48KHz
- Bitrate: 16Bit/24Bit
- Power Requirements: Supplied by ios device
- Cable: 6.0m(20ft)
- Capsule Diameter: 6.5mm(0.26″)
- Net Weight: 58g
As an Amazon associate , I receive commission from qualified purchases from links.
The iPhone camera has gotten better and better over the years and the latest models work as an excellent choice for recording videos, using an external microphone for iPhone can really take your videos to the next level.
There are many cheap microphones available on Amazon for iPhone but if you want to get the best quality then we suggest sticking to one of the above 7 external microphones for iPhone.
Our best pic will be Shure MV88 in this category for best sound quality and direct connectivity.
Welcome to your podcasting journey with quickstartpodcast team.
Below paragraphs have links to all our posts in a logical manner starting from being a podcast listener to being a podcast creator.
The podcast Listener phase :
The podcasting journey generally begins with various questions such as what is a podcast , what a podcast is used for ? how to listen to a podcast , what are the best android and iOS apps to listen to podcast .
Depending upon the things that you like you will search for fiction podcasts , educational podcasts etc. Most of the people restrict their journey in podcasting to this level. They just end up being listeners to podcasts. Some of then take the next leap of faith and decide to start their own podcast.
Podcast creator Phase :
How to start your podcast ? is the main question they are faced with . Once that you have decided to start a podcast , what should be the name of the podcast , what should be the podcast format , which podcasting niche should you chose , what should be episode titles , what are popular podcast formats and what should be mine and so on ..
What is the right equipment for creating a podcast , what are the best XLR , USB , Condenser and dynamic microphones available. Can I record my podcast in an iPHONE , What should be the polar pattern , should I use an audio interface or a mixer , do I need a POP filter . There are so many question . How much podcasting will cost me , what are different setups based on my budget.
Once you in the journey of podcasting you will need to decide how should be a great podcast intro , how to record the podcast , how to record podcast online , how to test the mic , what should be length and frequency of my podcast , how to make great sounding podcasts and finally how to make money from podcasting ? ..
The journey starts from being a podcast listener going all the way to being a great podcast creator and quickstartpodcast is there with you in all this journey.